Who I am and why I’m here:
- I have a PhD in Organizational Psychology from the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor.
- My undergraduate degree is from Harvard University in Psychology with a Certificate in Spanish language.
- My research interests include motivational design and self-determination theory, social relationships/connections and their effect on well-being and performance, happiness and resilience, and health behaviors such as medication adherence and physical fitness.
- Everything on this site represents me as an individual. My opinions are not necessarily the opinions of my employer or anyone else. Mistakes are my own.
Mad*Pow, Boston, MA
Behavior Change Design Director (4/2016 – present)
CVS Health, Boston, MA
Senior Manager, Specialty Digital Strategy (5/2015 – 4/2016)
Wellness & Prevention, Inc. (A Johnson & Johnson Company), Ann Arbor, MI; later renamed Johnson & Johnson Health and Wellness Solutions, New Brunswick, NJ
Associate Director, Behavioral Science (1/2011 – 4/2015)
Manager, Specialty Solutions Tailored Media Group (5/2008 – 1/2011)
Big Communications, LLC, Ferndale, MI
Research Manager, Innovation Team (8/2006 – 5/2008)
Haworth, Inc., Holland, MI
Freelance Consultant to the Ideation Group (4/2006 – 9/2006)
University of Michigan Department of Psychology, Ann Arbor, MI
Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) and Graduate Research Assistant (9/2002 – 4/2006)
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
Ph.D. (2006) and M.A. (2003), Psychology (Organizational)
Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
A.B. (2001), Psychology, magna cum laude; Foreign Language Certification in Spanish
- Bucher, A. World Wildlife Foundation Fuller Symposium (2017). Planet As Patient: What Conservation Can Learn from Health Psychology. Talk presented at the , Washington, D.C. Video in Afternoon Sessions, starts around 22:50.
- Bucher, A. (2017). Designing for Competence. Presented on the Motivation and Behavior Change panel at HxRefactored, Cambridge, MA. Video of panel presentations on Vimeo.
- Bucher, A. (2017). Using Gamified Design to Amplify Outcomes: The Psychology of Badges. Presented at UXPA International , Toronto, ON. Slides on Slideshare.
- Bucher, A., & Schwartz, S. (2017). The Art and Science of Applying Behavioral Economics to Digital Health Design. Presented at UXPA Boston, Boston, MA. Slides on Slideshare.
- Bucher, A. (2017). Highway to the Habit Zone: Driving Engagement for Behavior Change. Presented at the Habit Summit, San Francisco, CA. Slides on Slideshare.
- Bucher, A., & O’Day, R. (2017). Moral Issues in Designing for Behavior Change. Presented at SXSW, Austin, TX. Video on YouTube.
- Bucher, A. (2017). Motivational Psychology for Digital Health Interventions. Presented at HIMSS, Orlando, FL. Session handout available for download.
- Bucher, A. (2017). Sustaining Change: Psychology-Based Tips for Maintaining Your Momentum. Presented at Sustainable UX, virtual conference. Video here.
- Bucher, A., & Zoldowski, A. (2016). Engagement Is Everything: Super-Charging Your Digital Products with Psychology. Presented at AHIP Consumer Experience and Digital Health Forum, Chicago, IL.
- Bucher, A. (2016). Workplace Connected Health Solutions. Panelist at Center for Connected Health Symposium 2016, Boston, MA.
- Bucher, A. (2016). Behavior Change Isn’t Everything, It’s The ONLY Thing. Panelist at Next Edge Summit 2016, Boston, MA.
- Bucher, A. (2016). Engagement Is Everything: How to Apply Psychology to Improve Digital Experiences. A Mad*Pow Webinar.
- Bucher, A. (September 25, 2014). Digital health management: The role of motivation in changing behavior (在不断变化的行为中
动机的作用). Presented at the ChinaSourcing Summit 2014, Hangzhou, China.
- Bucher, A. (May 15, 2014). Motivate your user: Design psychology. Presented at UXPA Boston, Boston, MA.
- Bucher, A. (February 25, 2014). The new social networking. Presentation at TEDxJNJ, Philadelphia, PA.
- Bucher, A. (2013). Hire better: Interview psychology. Class offered at Intelligent.ly, Boston, MA.
- Bucher, A. (2012, 2013). Design psychology: Motivate your user, and User experience testing tools and tricks. Classes offered on a recurring basis at Intelligent.ly, Boston, MA. (http://www.intelligent.ly/)
- Bedrosian, R., And Bucher, A. (2012). The future of corporate health and happiness. Presented at the Future of Health Technology Institute, Boston, MA.
- Bucher, A. (2011). Engage the patient with individually relevant health & wellness programming. Presented at the 5th annual Digital Pharma East conference, Philadelphia, PA.
- Bucher, A., & Schwartz, S.M. (2011). The Rx Factor: Critical drivers of adherence. Workshop presented at the 5thannual Engage Conference, HealthMedia, Chicago, IL.
- Bedrosian, R., Bucher, A., & Wiet, S. (2011). Wake-up call: Sleep initiatives from Wellness & Prevention. Presented at the Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics Sleep Disorders Conference, Raritan, NJ.
- Schwartz, S.M., & Bucher, A. (2010). Critical drivers of adherence: The convergence of behavioral science, data and technology for impactful adherence solutions. Workshop presented at the 7th annual Patient Adherence & Engagement Summit, eyeforpharma, Philadelphia, PA.
- Trahan, A. (2005). Stories about work: How narratives reveal social life. Paper presented at the National Academy of Management Meetings, Honolulu, HI.
- Trahan, A., & Lee, F. (2005). I can’t tell you why I love my job: Insufficient justification as a predictor of low identity integration in females in business. Paper presented at the 17th Annual Meeting of the American Psychological Society, Los Angeles, CA.
- Trahan, A., & Sanchez-Burks, J. (2005). Ontological collectivism and attitudes toward diversity initiatives at work. Paper presented at the 17th Annual Meeting of the American Psychological Society, Los Angeles, CA.
- Trahan, A. (2005). The effects of group schemas on organizational life. Symposium chaired at the 17th Annual Meeting of the American Psychological Society, Los Angeles, CA.
- Trahan, A., & Shih, M. (2004). Working to reduce stigma: Individual stigma management strategies in organizational contexts. Paper presented at the National Academy of Management Meetings, New Orleans, LA.
- Trahan, A., Lee, F., & Cheng, C.Y. (2004). Identity integration: Extending the model to the workplace. Paper presented at the American Psychological Association (16th Annual Meeting, 2004), Honolulu, HI.
- Trahan, A. (2004). Cross-cultural variations in the meaning of the supermodel prime. Poster presented at the American Psychological Association (16th Annual Meeting, 2004), Honolulu, HI.
- Trahan, A. (2004). Identity salience and contingencies of self-worth. Poster presented at the Society for Personality and Social Psychology meetings, Austin, TX.
- Trahan, A. (2003). Affective aspects of social identity: The effects of identity salience on contingencies of self-worth. Poster presented at the Self, Cognition, and Emotion: Kyoto University International Symposium, Kyoto-Michigan Collaboration in Psychology conference, Ann Arbor, MI.
- Trahan, A. (2003). Social identity and contingent self-worth: Valuing performance in identity-related domains. Paper presented at the National Academy of Management meetings, Seattle, WA.
- Trahan, A. (2003). Shifting social identities and organizational performance. Paper presented at the National Academy of Management meetings, Seattle, WA.
- Trahan, A., and Shih, M. (2003). Priming and performance: Examining the role of distraction. Poster presented at the American Psychological Association (15th Annual Meeting, 2003), Toronto, ON.
- Bucher, A. (2017). How can psychology save the planet? Bringing behavior change science to conservation. Blog post, UX Planet.org.
- Bucher, A. (2017). The Tech Rx: Technology Know-How On the Road to Health Literacy. Blog post, Walters Kluwer/Emmi Solutions.
- Bucher, A. Reflections on Behavioral Finance (2017). Blog post, Mad*Pow.
- Bucher, A., & Baumblatt, G. L. (2017). Nothing but truth: Encouraging honest patient disclosure on tough topics. Blog post, the Association for Patient Experience.
- Mason, S. T., Carter, E. W., Wang, C., Goodlett, B. D., Bedrosian, R., Nikolovski, J., & Bucher, A. (2015). The Life Benefits of Managing Energy – PDF. Whitepaper, Johnson & Johnson Human Performance Institute.
- Bucher, A. (2015). 2015: The Year of the Technologically Engaged Patient? MedCity News. http://medcitynews.com/2015/03/2015-year-technologically-engaged-patient/
- Bucher, A., O’Day, R., Whelan, K., Benadon, E., & Kim, S. (2014). Improved outcomes start with engaging the patient. CAPG Health, Nov/Dec 2014, p. 20-22.
- Bucher, A., & O’Day, R. (2014). The triple aim’s missing link: Meaningful engagement for patients with chronic conditions. Managed Care Outlook, 27(15), p. 1, 3, 5-8. Download: Managed Care Outlook_The Triple Aim’s Missing Link
- Bucher, A. (2014). 6 guidelines for medication adherence. Blog post at Managed Healthcare Executive, http://managedhealthcareexecutive.modernmedicine.com/managed-healthcare-executive/news/blog-7-guidelines-medication-adherence.
- Bucher, A., & O’Day, R.F. (2014). How to gamify your health and wellness incentives. Incentive Magazine. http://www.incentivemag.com/Incentive-Programs/Engagement/Articles/How-to-Gamify-Your-Health-and-Wellness-Incentives/
- Bucher, A. (December 5, 2013). Compelling design is about psychology, not technology. Wired Innovation Insights. http://www.wired.com/2013/12/compelling-design-is-about-psychology-not-technology-3/
- Bucher, A., & Inglis, E. (September 12, 2013). Improving medication adherence: 7 behavioral science-based guidelines for creating effective and engaging communications. Becker’s Hospital Review. http://www.beckershospitalreview.com/quality/improving-medication-adherence-7-behavioral-science-based-guidelines-for-creating-effective-and-engaging-communications.html
- Shih, M., Young, M. J., & Bucher, A. (2013). Working to reduce the effects of discrimination: Identity management strategies in organizations. American Psychologist, 68(3), 145-157.
- Shih, M., Wang, E., Bucher, A. T., & Stotzer, R. (2009). Perspective taking: Reducing prejudice towards general outgroups and specific individuals. Group Processes & Intergroup Relations, 12(5), 565-577.
- Trahan, A. (2006) A social life perspective on work relationships (Doctoral dissertation). University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI.
- Shih, M., Pittinsky, T. L., & Trahan, A. (2006). Domain-specific effects of stereotypes on performance. Self and Identity, 5, 1-14.
- Pittinsky, T. L., Shih, M., & Trahan, A. (2006). Identity cues: Evidence from and for intra-individual perspectives on positive and negative stereotyping. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 36, 2215-2239.
- Trahan, A., Pittinsky, T.L., Shih, M., and Ambady, N. (2002). Virtual Amy: E-mail bias and stereotype consistent recall. Hot Topic presentation given at the American Psychological Society (15th Annual Meeting, 2002), New Orleans, LA.
Volunteer and Community Organizations