- I am the Chief Behavioral Officer at Lirio, where I lead our Behavioral Science team and work alongside talented behavior scientists, health experts, software engineers, and AI and data scientists to build Precision Nudging™ tools that help people overcome barriers to good health.
- I’m the author of Engaged: Designing for Behavior Change, published by Rosenfeld Media. This book is an introduction to behavioral design for UX and design professionals who may not have much of a background in behavioral science. It was named a Kirkus top indie book of 2020.
- My research interests include designing with the self-determination theory of motivation, using technology to effectively personalize and scale behavioral interventions, social relationships/connections and their effect on well-being and performance, happiness and resilience, and health behaviors such as medication adherence and physical fitness. My ultimate goal is to apply the learnings of psychology to the realm of health and wellness so that people feel empowered and equipped to live their best lives. No big deal.
- This is a personal site; while I speak from a place of professional experience, these are my views and not necessarily those of my past or present employers. These are definitely not the views of my enemies, because that would cause some cognitive discomfort, wouldn’t it?
Lirio, Knoxville, TN & Franklin, TN
Chief Behavioral Officer (1/2022 – present)
Vice President of Behavioral Design (5/2021 – 1/2022)
Mad*Pow, Boston, MA
Vice President of Behavior Change Design (1/2020 – 5/2021)
Behavior Change Design Director (4/2016 – 1/2020)
CVS Health, Boston, MA
Senior Manager, Specialty Digital Strategy (5/2015 – 4/2016)
HealthMedia -> Wellness & Prevention, Inc. (A Johnson & Johnson Company), Ann Arbor, MI; later renamed Johnson & Johnson Health and Wellness Solutions, New Brunswick, NJ
Associate Director, Behavioral Science (1/2011 – 4/2015)
Manager, Specialty Solutions Tailored Media Group (5/2008 – 1/2011)
Big Communications, LLC, Ferndale, MI
Research Manager, Innovation Team (8/2006 – 5/2008)
Freelance Behavioral Consultant, Various (2006- 2021)
University of Michigan Department of Psychology, Ann Arbor, MI
Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) and Graduate Research Assistant (9/2001 – 4/2006)
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
Ph.D. and M.A. in Psychology (Organizational)
Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
A.B. magna cum laude in Psychology; Foreign Language Certification in Spanish
Volunteer and Community Organizations
- Design Museum Foundation, Council Member, 2022 – present
- Friends of the Charlestown Public Library, Board Member, 2020 – present
- FriendshipWorks, Board Member, 2020 – 2021
- Junior League of Boston, 2011 – 2020; VP of Communications, 2018 – 2019
- Lean Start Up Challenge, Fall 2012: Mentor
- Rock Health Boston, Summer 2012: Mentor
- Learning Ally (digitally record textbooks for visually impaired learners) 2011 – 2014